Call for Abstracts
The Clay Mineral Society Annual Meeting Call for Abstracts is now closed.
You are invited to submit abstracts for poster and/or oral presentation at the 54th Annual Clay Minerals Society Conference, taking place June 2nd– 8th, 2017 in Edmonton, Alberta. Presenters are welcome to choose between an oral or poster presentation or both. The selection committee will accommodate the preference to the extent permitted by facility space and time.
The theme of the conference is "Living Clays." Clays impact our world from nanoscale interactions to regional scale events (earthquakes, landslides). Clays can be used for multiple purposes and have been utilized by humans for centuries. This conference highlights the influence of clays in our world with a special focus on the impact of clays in our industry.
We invite all researchers to submit abstracts on the following topics:
- Structure and Properties of Clays: Clay Structure, Clay Modeling, Clay Nomenclature.
- Clay Minerals and Health: Use of Clay Minerals in Medicine and Beauty Products/Treatments.
- Clays and Genomics/Microbiology: Clay Interactions with Microorganisms/Protomicroorganisms.
- Clays in Oil and Gas: Drilling, Fracking, Shale Gas, Tight Gas, Enhanced Oil Recovery, and Exploration Geochemistry.
- Clays in Mining: Methods for Improving Selectivity of Mining, Impacts of Clay in Non-Clay Mining Processes, and Hydrometallurgy/Pyrometallurgy.
- Clay/Organic Interaction and Clay-polymer Interaction: Fundamentals of the Interaction of Clays with various Organic Compounds. This will include Polymers, Solvents and Proteins.
- Clays in Water/Solid Separation Processes: How Clays impact Solid/Liquid Separation Processes including Sedimentation, Thickening, Centrifuging, and Filtering.
- Clays in Rheology: This session to focus on the Rheological Properties of Clay Slurries.
- Clays in Geotechnical Engineering: Dam Foundations, Consolidation, Development of Strength, and Impact on Freeze-thaw Cycling/Frost Heave.
- Clays and Soil Formation: Nutrient Cycling & Weathering, (can connect the biology in there), Carbon Capture.
- Clay and Environmental Quality: Clay Remediation and Contaminant Migration.
- Or any other topic related to the conference theme.
Please read this Call for Abstracts information carefully before accessing the abstract submission form.
Abstract submission deadline: Friday, March 31, 2017 (11:59 PM MT)
Notification date: Wednesday, April 19, 2017
RSVP date: Monday, April 24, 2017
Early Bird Registration deadline: Monday, May 1, 2017
Abstracts will undergo a peer-review process. The Abstract Review Committee will assess each abstract based on its adherence to format, scientific merit, and alignment with the overall Conference themes. Authors of abstracts selected for presentation will be contacted via email by Wednesday, April 19, 2017 and invited to present either a poster or oral presentation at the Conference. Please provide the electronic copy of your PowerPoint presentation to James Laszlo no later than Monday, May 22, 2017. Please send your presentation using WeTransfer.com. This is a free, easy and secure online file-transferring platform. Simply add your file, enter the email address [JLASZLO@nait.ca], and hit “transfer.”
All selected abstracts and copies of the presentations will be made available to the Conference participants.
Presenters who wish to do so are invited to submit a written manuscript to the journal of Clays and Clay Minerals to accompany their presentation. Manuscripts, which are submitted on time and accepted by the journal review process, will be published in a special Edition of Clays and Clay Minerals. Further details will be provided upon abstracts being accepted at the conference.
Abstract Form Submission
Please use the Official Online Abstract Submission Form Only.
- Abstracts must be submitted electronically using the official online submission form by the deadline.
- Please use standard abbreviations. Place special or unusual abbreviations in parenthesis after the full word when it appears for the first time.
- Errors, misspellings and incorrect abbreviations will not be corrected.
- Charts and figures are not permitted in the abstract.
- Abstracts must not exceed 750 words (excluding the abstract heading).
- An individual may submit more than one abstract. One official submission is required for each abstract.
- There is no fee to submit abstract(s).
- Edits to submitted abstracts may be made up to the submission deadline on Monday, March 20, 2017. Instructions for making edits can be found on the online abstract submission form.
Presentation at the Conference
- A small number of abstracts will be selected for oral presentation at the Conference; indicate on the submission form whether you are interested in being considered for an oral presentation.
- If an abstract is accepted for oral presentation or interactive workshop, the presenter(s) agree(s) to register for the Conference and pay the appropriate Conference registration fee.
- The Conference will not cover expenses of those presenting posters, or giving an oral presentation based on an abstract submission, such as expenses for developing the poster, shipping, travel, or accommodation.
- Posters must not exceed 115 cm x 115 cm in size but may be any dimension within these constraints. Oversize posters may not be displayed. Push pins will be provided at the Conference.
- The presenter will be required to stand by his/her poster(s) at specific times to answer questions during the Conference. In the case of multiple authors, at least one author is required to stand by the poster at the specified times.
The 54th Annual Clay Minerals Society Conference, taking place June 2nd– 8th, 2017 in Edmonton, Alberta. Information on accommodation can be found on the Conference website at www.cms2017.com.
By submitting abstracts to the Conference, submitters authorize, upon acceptance, the permission to reproduce their abstract in the conference program material and on the conference website.